Keeping your carpet clean is a laborious task, especially if you’re sharing your living space with cute little humans that love making a mess. Thankfully, there are more approaches than one to handle this problem, even if the carpet looks beyond saving. One of the substances that are particularly hard to get rid of is wax. However, you can handle this in more ways than one:
- You can hire a professional and use carpet cleaning services.
- You can try the DIY approach.
- You can repurpose or resize the carpet.
In this article, we’re going to provide you with some useful tips about all the above.
Carpet Cleaning Services
If you believe your carpet can not be saved or you simply don’t want to waste time cleaning it, then perhaps you should consider professional carpet cleaning services. This way, you’re saving time and effort, but it will be more costly than doing it yourself. In fact, if you damaged a more expensive carpet made from sensitive materials like silk or wool than it might be best to let a professional handle it!
Professional cleaners rely on four methods for deep cleaning:
- Steaming – is the most common carpet cleaning method. Steaming happens when hot water is heated and inserted on the stain under pressure. Because the steam breaks down the molecules of the dirt, it’s easy to get rid of them.
- Shampooing – is another standard cleaning method. The process is rather simple. Professionals use heavy chemicals to create foam and then brush away the stains from the carpet.
- Dry Cleaning – is a more advanced technique. The professional cleaner will spread the absorbent compound and use a mechanical brush to scrub away the dirt.
- Bonnet Cleaning – is a combination of cleaning products, carbonated water, and a circular rotating buffer. The carpet is sprinkled with the mix, and the buffer is used to dissolve the dirt.
If you’re not keen on hiring professionals and you’re more of a “do it yourself” type of person, we have some methods that work for you as well.
Method no. 1
You’re going to need a knife (or any tool that lets you scrape the wax from the carpet), a towel, a vacuum cleaner, an iron, and a carpet cleaner (or stain remover).
You’re going to start by scraping the wax from the carpet or vacuuming it in, depending on the state the rug is in at the moment. We recommend you to be very careful while you’re doing this in order not to damage the integrity of the carpet. Once you’re done with this part, dampen a simple, white cloth and run over it with an iron a couple of times. The goal is to take out the wax out of the carpet completely.
Depending on the carpet cleaner of stain remover chemicals that you’re using, you should apply it on the carpet and follow the instructions. Usually, it would be best if you left the cleaner for a couple of hours before you wash it out.
Method no. 2
The first step is to put some ice on the wax to harden it. Once the wax is solid, you repeat the same action as above. You should take a scraping tool, and start removing the wax from the carpet slowly and carefully. After that, find the best carpet cleaner in your local store and clean the rug one more time. It would help if you also wiped the spot with alcohol to remove any leftover residue. Additionally, you can vacuum the carpet and see the state that’s in after the procedure.
Method no. 3
For this technique, you will require a hairdryer and a few paper towels. It is by far the simplest way to remove wax from your carpet. You take a paper towel over the wax stain, and you start blowing heat with the hairdryer. Soon you’ll notice that the paper is absorbing the wax from the carpet.
It would be best if you used as many paper towels as you need until the whole wax stain is gone from the rug. Alternatively, you can do the same with an iron, although using a hairdryer might be a safer option.
Repurposing & Resizing the Carpet
Another creative way to go is to repurpose or resize your carpet. In fact, this might be the most fun method of all. We have a few exciting ideas for you to try out!
- Knee Cushion – is the most straightforward way to find a new purpose for a damaged rug. You can even combine it with an old pillow to make it fluffy.
- Scratching Post – from an old carpet is the perfect affordable way to make your cat happier. As a cat owner, you must know that kittens need to scratch to maintain their little nails sharp. This way, you don’t have to spend money, you’re reusing a damaged carpet and you’re protecting your other furniture from cuts.
- Car Mat – from a carpet is not a new idea, but it is a handy one. Instead of buying a plastic car mat, you can resize your rug and create a few disposable ones. They might even look a lot better than a simple black car mat.
- Soft Play Area – for the little ones in your home can be created from your damaged carpet. If you resize it correctly, it’s going to be easy for you to move it around and make sure that your children or grandchildren are always playing comfortably on the floor.
- Coasters – from a rug is an original and creative way for you to reuse your damaged carpet. Create smaller carpet scraps and turn them into costars. Your friends and family will love them, especially if the carpet has some vibrant and interesting colors that go beautifully with your living room. Plus, you’ll never run out of coasters again.
We hope you’ll find the best method for you! And if nothing else works, you can always use professional carpet cleaning services.
Photo by Madison Inouye from Pexels