Everything You Need to Know About Mold Cleaning/Removal

One of the main cause of mould and mildew growth in homes are high moisture levels and occupant behavior within the home. Improper handling of residential mold can lead to poor indoor air quality, which can negatively impact your family health. These types of bacteria or fungi ruin your clothes, carpets or soft furnishings, cause property deterioration and other health complications such as headaches, allergies, respiratory issues like asthma and more, which makes it necessary to know how to deal with mold and mildew in the first place to avoid further damages. Plus, it is important to know that you should not attempt to remove the mould yourself, as ultimately the spores will spread in the home and recolonize elsewhere so hire a professional technician.

Take a look at the do’s and don’ts of Mold Cleaning/Removal

Do’s of Mold Cleaning/Removal:

Contact a professional, trained mold remediation expert: When you suspect mould, address the issue immediately. Contact a certified and trained mold removal professional. There are a lot of benefits working with trained experts as they use advance equipment and latest cleaning methods to solve the issue effectively and efficiently. They can determine the relative humidity in the home while also using a thermal camera which can see behind walls, carpets areas that may still be damp or increasing the moisture content in the home or office.

Fix the source of the mold: Since mold grows on moist and wet surfaces, it is necessary to find the source of moisture that causes mold. After identifying the moisture prone areas, call a professional in and seek their advice. We caution you to treat this yourself as most cleaning products while they can remove the mould it doesn’t neutralize the mould causing the spore to take off and reattach elsewhere in the home. The spores need to be neutralized and the moisture content needs to be reduced by placing the windows opened more often or placing a dehumidifier in the room to remove the excess moisture content.

Dry the affected areas: After cleaning the mold, make sure you dry the moist areas to prevent mold from forming. To fasten the drying process you can use dehumidifiers.

Open doors and windows: Consider opening all your home’s doors and windows for a longer period of time to improve the indoor air circulation. This will promote circulation and drop humidity levels thus reducing the chances of suffering from respiratory health issues, as long as the mould has been treated and neutralized we would recommend this.

Avoid prolonged exposure to mold affected areas: Keep your children, pets and yourself away from the affected area. Long term exposure to mold can develop the symptoms of asthma or respiratory symptoms as some of us can be allergic to mould. Pets are also susceptible to respiratory risks because of the prolonged exposure to mold also.

Learn about Mold Prevention: Educating yourself on maintaining your homes indoor air quality into the future and by discussing this with your mould remediation specialist. Keeping the moisture down in the home or wet areas such as laundry or bathrooms placing a high flow exhaust fan to reduce the moisture that cannot escape given inadequate prior exhaust fan or simply not being used allowing the moisture to build up. There is always options to seek moving forward and keep the mould away.

  • Use high flow exhaust fans
  • Keep the bathroom dry
  • Fix the leaks immediately
  • Keep the basement free from clutter

Ventilate the home opening doors and windows

Maintain and service your air conditioners (filters require cleaning also)

: purchase a small dehumidifier to reduce the moisture content

: use a mould repellent paint on the walls

Switch on your air conditioner: The other thing that you must do is to run your air conditioner to reduce the humidity level in your home and keep your home comfortable. Running exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom also helps to decrease the level of humidity.  

Don’ts of Cleaning/Removal:

Follow the following tips in order to deal with mold growth effectively:

  • Avoid sleeping in a moldy and damp room. They can deteriorate the health of especially those with a weak immune system and respiratory issues.
  • Running a fan over mould affected areas will blow the mold spores to other areas of your room, hence increases the contamination. However, built-in fans in bathroom and kitchen help to keep the moisture down and prevent mould or mildew from reoccurring.
  • Applying a coat of paint or caulk is not going to fix this issue.
  • Never try to deal with the mold issues yourself, Use a professional!
  • Finding mould in your house can be scary for you and it can be a reason to act rashly without estimating the problem. The most important thing that you should know is that you are not alone. Mould is a common problem in some Adelaide homes, and if you find mould in your house, don’t panic, hire professional for mould removal or carpet cleaning in Adelaide Hills and let them advise you of your best options moving forward.
  • Don’t use bleach for cleaning mould. Believe it or not the use of bleach is not only pointless but also increases the mould spores to take off and recolonize.

Don’t ignore the problem as it will only make the things worse for you. It is better to hire the services of a mould removal specialist to get the correct advice moving forward & to ensure your home is kept in a hygienic state.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.